Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Post-op life

Yesterday I had a follow-up appointment with my doctor. It was mainly to see how I was healing after surgery and my doctor felt that I am doing very well.

She went over the pathology report which showed that the invasive cancer is gone and the lymph nodes showed no cancer. The stage of the tumor was 1B. I'll see her again in a month for another follow-up.

She has referred me to a medical oncologist who will then take my case from here to determine a course of treatment so that we can make sure nothing returns in the future. We definitely want to get rid of any runaway cancer cells and reduce the recurrence rate as much as possible.

Typically, with this stage tumor and after a lumpectomy the course of treatment is radiation and hormone treatment (tamoxifen). I'm doing some genetic testing for BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutation and if that comes up positive then harder decisions would need to be made because these genes increase risk of future breast and ovarian cancer greatly. So, for now, I'm trying to just have my normal life as I continue to go down this road - enjoying the good news I've received so far and knowing that there is more work to be done!

Ed, Caroline and Isabel are doing well and were overjoyed at the good results. I can see a good change in the girls as they seem more relaxed and happier. We have felt so loved and pampered by all the meals, cards, hugs, prayers and all other forms of help and support. It has made all of this much more bearable to go through. THANK YOU ALL!

I'm back at work, but have shortened my days a little until I can manage more. It's good to be back - kind of! My goal is to maintain a healthy balance in life!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Just thinking about you and wondering how things are... Are you able to avoid chemo and radiation? Are you healed up from surgery? (And sprained ankle?)
Happy Easter!