An update is needed!!
I've been gathering information through different tests so that a treatment plan can be put in place that best fits my needs and situation. I think we have it!
My medical oncologist ordered the Oncotype DX test, which helps to determine future chance of reccurrence of the cancer. It provides a score which can help guide the decision for treatment. If the score is 18 or below the treatment for me would be radiation followed by hormone therapy. A score above 31 would mean high risk and chemo would be recommended. The in-between score is a grey area and would mean deciding to be more agressive or not.
My score was 4!
Given the low score and also the results from genetic testing, which I am negative for the BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutations, my oncologist felt like my best course of treatment will be radiation followed by hormone treatment.
I've started this process for radiation which included all kinds of measurements, tattoos (my first!) and CT scan for positioning. This coming wednesday I'll go for a "dry run" and then schedule the 33 treatments that will take place over the next 7 weeks. Five days a week. The week of June 22nd is looking mighty fine to me!
I'll have the same 15 minute treatment time each day, so it will become part of my daily routine.
I'll post my time once I know it so anyone can join me or send prayers or good energy my way during those times.
And because we didn't have enough going on in our lives we decided to add a new puppy to our family! Maggie, our golden doodle, is 9 weeks old and is soooo adorable! I'll attempt to post a photo soon. She has added plenty of goofy, happy energy to our days (and nights)! Yes, we are crazy.
What a journey this has been and continues to be!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Praise be to God!!! I'm so happy with your low score and negative tests...what wonderful news! I know the next few weeks will still be tough, but what wonderful news!
Oh, Bonnie, that is SUCH wonderful news!! For so many reasons. Please do let me know when your daily treatments will be. I'd like to come visit with you.
I can't wait to meet Maggie, too!
Enjoy this glorious week, in so many ways,
Marcia
Yea! 4 never sounded so good! Once your 7 weeks are behind you, you'll still have a good chunk of the summer to enjoy!
Bonnie,
This is such good news! I wish I had logged on a few days ago as I have been wondering.
Congrats on your new baby too! She will keep your mind off of things while you are cleaning up her accidents! Heh heh heh!!
I am glad you will have so much time left in the summer. We will get to see one another without you having to stop your day for treatment!
Let me know if you need anything at all.
I love you
Elisabeth
Bonnie, That is Wonderful.... What a relief for everyone! I'll be interested to know when/how the radiation process is and will be sending lots of healing and loving thoughts. Enjoy romping with Maggie!
G
Post a Comment