Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Grand finale

I saw a friend at the movie theater the other day and she said "you don't update your blog very much, do you?!" No, I have not! Take it as a good sign, though.

I'm done with radiation. My last treatment was June 17th. Some days in the treatment room they have music playing. On this day there was music and it was my buddy, James Taylor singing "Fire and Rain". A bit of a sad song, but it was JT singing to me as I completed 33 radiation treatments!!! yipee! I got to keep my ugly blue smock and they gave me a sweet pink certificate. I don't know if I will frame it or not!

We had a campfire on July 4th and I burned the smock. It felt good to see it melt away in the flames and know that I will not wear it again.

My energy is returning. Fatigue is a wierd thing - not really tiredness but a subtle heavy blanket keeping you down.

I'm taking a month off from work to get re-energized, to relax and just enjoy being alive. I've already been off for 2 weeks and am into my 3rd - time is flying! Ed, the girls and I are doing fun stuff in and around Asheville. This week we'll bike the Virginia Creeper and take a whitewater rafting trip. No big trips, just enjoying time together.

I'm glad to be on the other side of this journey and feel so blessed to have had family and friends supporting me through it. All of the love, cards, calls, food, prayers, good vibes...EVERYTHING has carried me through!!

No comments: