Groundhog's Day will never quite be the same to me. It was the day that I received the news that I have breast cancer. The last few weeks have been a rollercoaster of emotions and a crash course in cancer!
I'm not one to put my life out there on the internet, but I want to keep family and friends updated with my progress and this might be the best way to do it.
Here's what I know so far -
After being aware of a lump/mass/thickening in my left breast for several years and being assured by doctors, mamograms and ultrasounds that it was not anything to worry about, I just decided to pursue it a little further with my doctor. She heard my concern and referred me to a breast specialist. Again, the specialist saw nothing in my films and did not feel anything out of the ordinary in an exam. The options were to continue mamos and ultrasounds and watch it as I had been, a needle biopsy or take it out. We decided on a needle aspiration which came back atypical and then went on to do a biopsy after that. Even at that point she felt it was benign - but the results showed invasive lobular carcinoma.
The tumor was small - .9 centimeters. Good news.
The margins of the biopsy were not clear - not so good.
This type of cancer tends to appear in the other breast - not so good.
A week or so later I had an MRI to see if there was any other cancer in either breast. This was on a thursday and after a looong stressful weekend I received the fabulous news that the MRI didn't show anything else. WHEW!
My plan now is to have a lumpectomy on March 3rd. My doctor will go back into the same location where she took the biopsy and take more out in order to achieve clear margins. During this surgery she will also conduct a sentinel node biopsy to determine any cancer in the lymph nodes. Removal of a few of the lymph nodes that are closest to the tumor will determine if the cancer has spread because that would be the first location cancer would travel to. Hopefully I will continue to get good news.
It's funny what I now consider "good news". You never know what your "news" is going to be each day but as I get my news I do feel that through it all, I will be a stronger person!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Bonnie, you're in our thoughts and prayers. I'm SO glad you pursued your concerns and that your doctor was willing to do so as well. Hang in there, and I hope all goes exceedingly well on the 3rd!
Another step on life's bizarre journey. I am so glad that you are writing about it. Sometimes life insists that we do things that we are meant to do - journalism! Do you feel the positive mole face waves I'm sending to Asheville? I hope so. Meanwhile, go rock your day and we'll talk soon. xo
Bonnie, you are in our thoughts, prayers and healing meditations. Stay positive as healing is a natural occurrence! Remember, EVERY MOMENT is precious so don't waste any on worry. Lean on us whenever you need to for whatever you need - we'll be here! Love, Laura
Bonnie,
Heather shared your news at the young childrens ministry team meeting because we were concerned about why you are on the prayer list. We didn't want to be nosy but wanted to help out if we could.
Please know we are praying for you. I would be happy to help out in any way I can. My schedule is very flexible so I'm available for chauffer duty for medical appointments or for your girls, etc, and frankly the opportunity to spend time with someone over the age of 3 is welcome:) If you need someone to take over SOS scheduling etc. for now, I can handle that. Just let me know.
Leslie
Thanks for feeling safe sharing this journey with all of us---Jared and I are thinking of you and Ed and the kids and holding all of you up in our prayers. Let me know when you are ready for some of my fine cooking(not low fat, but usually kid-approved) so I can prepare a meal for your family.
Having had several friends now navigate breast/other cancers, I have learned that everyone does it differently and needs friends in different ways. I want you to know that we are here in whatever capacity serves you best---chef, rapper, listener, walker---you name it!
Shannon
Bonnie,
Thanks for sharing. There are so many people thinking and praying for you everyday like I am. A blog is a wonderful way to share with us all. I know how difficult it is to tell your story and each new development to everyone you want to know. I wish there had been such a thing eight years ago. I think one of the most important things I learned from my experience is that it is OK and necessary to need others. So please let us know what you need and how we can help!
Susan
Bonnie,
Thank you for your blog. This is a great way to stay in touch with all your family and friends and will save you from repeating everything over and over. I am praying for you and your family. I, too, am so glad you followed your intuition.
Love,
Meredith (Beaver) Leight
Post a Comment